Last Modified June 28, 2018
Avenue Industrial Supply Company Limited (d/b/a Global Industrial Canada) ("Company" or "We" or "Global Industrial") respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
Information We Collect
Our Use of Information We Collect
Disclosure of Your Information to Others
Information We Collect
We collect several types of information from you in various ways when you interact with us, including information by which you may be personally identified, such as:
- Your name, postal address, telephone number;
- Credit/debit card or other payment method information;
- Date of birth;
- E-mail address or;
- Information about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website and usage details ("Personal Information").
We collect this information directly from you when you provide it to us, automatically as you navigate through the Website, or through third parties. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses and other information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies.
Information You Provide to Us: The information we collect may include, among other things:
- Information that you provide when establishing an account with us, placing an order on our Website;
- Information when you enter a contest or promotion sponsored by us;
- Information when you report a problem with our Website;
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses), if you contact us;
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes;
- Details of transactions when you make a purchase from us;
- Information you may be required to provide regarding contact, billing, payment or other financial information before placing an order with us;
- Information regarding your participation in a rebate or warranty program offered by us or a third party;
- Your search queries on the Website; and
- Information that you provide when you communicate with any or our departments such as customer service, sales or technical services through the Site, telephone, mail or fax. In addition, when you communicate through the telephone, we may record audio of the conversations for quality control, training, security and analytics purposes.
You may also provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, "posted") on public areas of the Website or transmitted to other users of the Website or third parties (collectively, "User Contributions"). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Although we may limit access to certain pages, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Website with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons, or used by such persons without your consent.
Email Newsletter Subscriptions: With your consent, we may send you our email newsletter, unless you opt-out of receiving such communications. Your welcome email will also alert you if someone else has entered your email address into our email newsletter subscription list. In order to make our email newsletters more relevant and useful to you, our servers may receive a confirmation when you open an email message from us.
Game Promotions: From time to time, we may run game promotions such as sweepstakes, contests of other promotions (collectively, "game promotions"). When you enter a game promotion you may consent to also receive email or other communications from us. You may subsequently opt-out of the receipt of such email or communications by following the directions in the email or contacting that site. Your opt-out status will not affect your participation or chances to win in the game promotion. During the applicable game promotion period, however, you may nevertheless receive emails which we deem are related to the game promotion.
Usage Details, IP Addresses, Cookies and Other Technologies: As you navigate and interact with our Website, we may automatically collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns, including: (i) details of your visits, traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website; and (ii) information about your computer, device, and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system and browser type. The information we collect is statistical data. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service by enabling us to estimate our audience size and usage patterns, store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests, speed up your searches, and recognize you when you return to our Website. The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Web Beacons: We (or service providers on our behalf) may collect information through the use of "Web Beacons" on pages of our Website and e-mails. Web Beacons are small electronic files (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags and single-pixel gifs), which may employ cookie technology that enable us to record data about visits to or transactions made on the Site. This information is sometimes known as "clickstream data." We may use this data to analyze trends and statistics to improve your online experience and our customer service.
- Flash Cookies: Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash Cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies.
- Third Party Sources: We might also receive information about you from other sources and add it to our account information such as through co-branded or joint offerings with third parties
Our Use of Information We Collect
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any Personal Information to:
- present our Website and its contents to you;
- improve your experience on the Site;
- provide you with information, products or services and to communicate with you about information that you request;
- provide you with notices about your account;
- carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts, terms and conditions and/or arrangements entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection;
- notify you about changes to our Website, or any products or services we offer or provide though it;
- allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website; or
- help us target specific offers to you, to help us develop and improve our Site, and to tailor our Site to your interests.
We may also use such information in any other way we may describe when you provide the information or for any other purpose with your consent.
Disclosure of Your Information to Others
- To Service Providers: We may employ other companies or individuals to provide certain services to, or on behalf of, us such as fulfilling orders, delivering shipments, sending postal mail or e-mail, analyzing customer lists and data, processing rebates transactions, providing warranty services, or performing marketing or consulting services. These third parties ("Service Providers") may be given access to your Personal Information needed to perform these services, but will not be permitted to use your Personal Information for any other purpose.
- To Credit Card Companies: If you place an order, the Personal Information you provide is transmitted to your credit card company to verify and authorize your purchase. At certain times we may offer financing options with or without third party participation. If you use a financing option, information provided by you (such as your address, birth date, social security number, and credit card number) may be used to request a credit report from third parties or may be sent to a third party for processing.
- To Third Party Marketing Partners: From time to time we might establish a business relationship with other third parties whom we believe are trustworthy. In such cases with your consent we might license, exchange, share and/or cross-reference information, including your name, postal mailing address, telephone number or email address that will enable such third parties to contact you regarding products and services that may be of interest to you.
- To Related Companies: We may share your postal and e-mail address, telephone number(s), customer preferences, and purchase history with other subsidiaries and affiliates of our parent company, Systemax Inc.
- To Shippers: We may share your information, such as your name, telephone number and shipping information, to third party shippers (such as UPS and FEDEX) to deliver your product(s). There also may be instances in which we drop-ship orders directly to you from one of our manufacturers or suppliers. These drop-shippers are given your information, such as your name, email address, postal address, and telephone number, for the sole purpose of fulfilling your order.
We may also disclose your information:
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including responding to any government or regulatory request.
- With your consent.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of the Company, our customers or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- When Personal Information is disclosed to third-parties, we use contractual clauses to ensure that your privacy is adequately protected.
Third Party Transaction-Level Data: If you visit the Site from a third-party website, the third-party website may be able to access select information from your individual transaction information. In order to track and credit your transaction the third-party website may give you a unique code, cookie or graphic which will uniquely identify you. This will only happen if you link directly from a third party website to the Site. Any transactions made at the Site while such a code is active will be reported back to the third party website. We will only report non-Personal Information to these websites such as the date of the transaction, the product(s) purchased and the amount spent. We will not report any information to these third party websites that will allow them to personally identify you.
Links to Third Party Site: Our Site, sites we operate, and unaffiliated sites, display interest-based advertising and contain certain links to third party websites, such as our vendors’ websites and links to other websites intended to facilitate our customers’ shopping experience, such as Google Translate. We are not responsible or liable for the privacy practices or content found on these websites. We recommend that you check the privacy notice of each website you visit. Links to third party websites are provided solely for your convenience and any submission of data to such websites shall be at your sole risk.
Catalog Requests: When you request a catalog from us, we may share your name and postal address with a third party fulfillment company for the purpose of sending you the requested catalog.
Law Enforcement and Protection of Users: To the extent permitted by law, we will disclose Personal Information to government authorities or third parties pursuant to a legal request, subpoena or other legal process. We may also use or disclose your information as permitted by law to perform charge verifications, report or collect debts owed, fight fraud or protect our rights or property as well as those of our affiliates, customers, or its users. You should be aware that, following disclosure to any third party, your Personal Information may be accessible by others to the extent permitted or required by applicable law.
Aggregate Information: We provide aggregate information to some of our business partners. This information is used in a collective manner and does not identify you individually in any way. We collect and share aggregate information in order to know more about the general profile of our customers so we can improve your shopping experience. We use a tool called "Google Analytics" to collect information about use of the Site. Google Analytics collects information such as how often users visit the Site, what pages they visit when they do so, and what other sites referred them to the Site. We use the information we get from Google Analytics only to improve the Site and the user experience. Google Analytics collects only the IP address assigned to you on the date you visit the Site, but does not collect your name or other identifying information. We do not combine the information collected through the use of Google Analytics with personally identifiable information. Google Analytics plants a permanent cookie on your web browser to identify you as an unique user the next time you visit the Site, the cookie cannot be used by anyone but Google. You can prevent Google Analytics from recognizing you on return visits to the Site by disabling cookies on your browser.
Children and Privacy
Data Security and Protection
We maintain relationships with third party affiliate websites. Although we do not and cannot control the activities of the third parties that operate such websites, in the event you suspect an affiliate website is engaging in abusive practices, including, for example, spam, trademark infringement, predatory means of attracting visitors, or unlawful activities, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Children and Privacy
Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any Personal Information to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on the Website, on or through any of its features, register on the Website, make any purchases through the Website, use any of the interactive or public comment features of this Website or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address or any user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will work to delete that information.
Data Security and Protection
We employ 128-bit encryption technology in all areas of the Site which require you to provide your personal or account information, including those areas related to online ordering and order status. The Site utilizes industry-standard firewalls and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to allow for the encryption of potentially sensitive Personal Information, such as your name, address and credit card number.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. You should recognize, however, that no computer system is fully secure and that there are inherent risks associated with Internet transactions. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our website. Any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website. To make sure you have the latest security features on your browser, you may want to download the most recent version of your favorite browser, which should have full SSL support.
Corrections/ Information; Removal Opt-Out
The Data Controller of the information collected as noted in the 'Information We Collect' section of this policy is Avenue Industrial Supply Company Limited (d/b/a Global Industrial Canada) ("Company" or "We" or "Global Industrial"), which is headquartered in Canada at 35 Staples Avenue, Suite 110, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 4W3, Canada. The Data Protection Officer can be reached via email at email@example.com.
The Legal Basis for Using Your Personal Information: We collect your information as a Data Controller when we have a legal basis to do so. The following section sets out the legal basis for processing:
- Our use of your Personal Information is necessary to carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and Global Industrial.
- Our use of your Personal Information is in our legitimate interest as a commercial organization, including to improve your experience on the Site; provide you with information, products or services and to communicate with you about information that you request.
- Our use of your Personal Information is necessary to comply with a relevant legal or regulatory obligation that we have; in particular, where we are required to disclose Personal Information to a court, tax authority or regulatory body in the event of an investigation.
- Our use of your Personal Information is in accordance with your consent.
The foregoing applies to the processing activities described in the 'Our Use of Information We Collect' and 'Disclosure of Your Information to Others' sections of this policy. If you would like to find out more about the legal basis on which we process Personal Information, please contact us.
Your Legal Rights: Subject to certain exemptions, and dependent upon the processing activity we are undertaking, European Union individuals have certain rights in relation to Personal Information:
- Right to Access, Correct, and Delete Your Personal Information: You have the right to request access to the Personal Information that we hold about you and: (a) the source of your Personal Information; (b) the purposes, legal basis and methods of processing; (c) the data controller’s identity; and (d) the entities or categories of entities to whom your Personal Information is transferred. You also have the right to request that we correct any inaccuracies or delete your information. We are not required to comply with your request to erase Personal Information if the processing of your Personal Information is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation or for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims. Please be aware that if you request that we delete your Personal Information, you will not be able to continue to purchase products from us, as that requires our use of your Personal Information.
- Right to Restrict the Processing of Your Personal Information: You have the right to restrict the use of your Personal Information when (a) you contest the accuracy of the data; (b) the use is unlawful but you do not want us to erase the data; (c) we no longer need the Personal Information for the relevant purposes, but we require it for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims; or (d) you have objected to our Personal Information use justified on our legitimate interests verification as to whether we have a compelling interest to continue to use your data. We can continue to use your Personal Information following a request for restriction, where: (i) we have your consent; or (ii) to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or (iii) to protect the rights of another natural or legal person.
- Right to Data Portability: To the extent that we process your information (a) based on your consent or under a contract; and (b) through automated means, you have the right to receive such Personal Information in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format, or you can ask to have it transferred directly to another data controller.
- Right to Object to the Processing of Your Personal Information: You can object to any processing of your Personal Information which has our legitimate interests as its legal basis, if you believe your fundamental rights and freedoms outweigh our legitimate interests. If you raise an objection, we have an opportunity to demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate interests which override your rights and freedoms.
- Right to Lodge a Complaint With Your Local Supervisory Authority: You have a right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority if you have concerns about how we are processing your Personal Information. We ask that you please attempt to resolve any issues with us first, although you have a right to contact your local supervisory authority at any time.
How to Exercise Your Rights: If you would like to exercise any of the rights described above, please send a request to our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your message, please indicate the right you would like to exercise and the information to which it relates. We will ask you for additional information to confirm your identity and for security purposes before disclosing the Personal Information requested to you. We reserve the right to charge a fee where permitted by law, for instance if your request is manifestly unfounded or excessive. We will not always be able to fully address your request, for example if it would affect the duty of confidentiality we owe to others, or if we are legally entitled to deal with the request in a different way.
Cross-border Transfer of Information: Our servers and systems are maintained in Canada and the United States.
Retention: We will keep your information accurate, complete and up to date. We will retain your data for the period necessary to fulfil the different purposes outlined in the ‘Our Use of Information We Collect’ and ‘Disclosure of Your Information to Others’ sections of this policy, which will generally be for seven years. In particular, where you are a registered user we will keep relevant information for as long as you continue to purchase products from us. Where we are required to do so to meet legal and regulatory requirements, we will retain your data for longer periods of time, but only where permitted to do so, including so that we have an accurate record of your dealings with us in the event of any complaints or challenges, or if we reasonably believe there is a possibility of legal action relating to your data or dealings.
Corrections/ Information; Removal Opt-Out
Corrections or updates to your account information (including your Personal Information) can be made on-line, once you have logged-on to the www.globalindustrial.ca site, simply click on the "Your Account" button, located in the top right-hand corner of the page. The "Your Account" page contains links to Add or Edit personal information, addresses, payment methods and shipping preferences. You can also access, update or correct inaccuracies in your Personal Information in our records by contacting us as set forth in the Contact Information section below
In addition, if you no longer wish to receive communications from us you may opt-out by emailing us at email@example.com, sending a letter to: Global Industrial Canada, Attn: Global Industrial Privacy Officer, 35 Staples Avenue, Suite 110, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 4W3, Canada, or by clicking on the unsubscribe link within any marketing e-mail you receive from us. If you no longer wish to receive our catalog, send your customer priority number to our email address firstname.lastname@example.org or use our fax number 1-800-332-4432.
Limitations on Liability
We may transfer or assign any customer information, including Personal Information, owned, under the control of, or received by the Company or its affiliates, in connection with a merger, divestiture, stock sale, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some of all of the Company’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding. In the event that a business transfer occurs, you will be notified of this fact within a reasonable time after the transfer. We will also use contractual clauses to ensure that your personal information is used and disclosed for the purposes for which it was collected and will be subject to the appropriate safeguards.
Limitations on Liability
IN NO EVENT WILL AVENUE INDUSTRIAL SUPPLY COMPANY LIMITED OR ITS PARENT, AFFILIATES, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, LICENSEES OR ANY PARTY INVOLVED IN CREATING, PRODUCING OR DELIVERING THE SITE OR ITS PRODUCTS OR SERVICES BE LIABLE IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS, USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITE, OR IN CONNECTION WITH ANY FAILURE OR PERFORMANCE, ERROR, OMISSION, INTERRUPTION, DEFECT, DELAY IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, COMPUTER VIRUS OR LINE OR SYSTEM FAILURE (INCLUDING LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR DATA, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, AND DAMAGES THAT RESULT FROM INACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION OR INCONVENIENCE, DELAY, OR LOSS OF THE USE OF THE SITE). THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS APPLY WHETHER THE ALLEGED LIABILITY IS BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY OR ANY OTHER BASIS, EVEN IF AVENUE INDUSTRIAL SUPPLY COMPANY LIMITED OR ITS AFFILIATES OR ANY OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE, BY YOUR USE OF THE SITE, THAT YOUR USE OF THE SITE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. APPLICABLE LAW MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SET FORTH ABOVE, SO THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU, AND YOU MAY HAVE RIGHTS ADDITIONAL TO THOSE CONTAINED HEREIN.