ARE YOUR EMPLOYEES WORKING SAFELY?
Musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) affect the muscles, nerves, blood vessels, ligaments and tendons and work-related MSDs account for 32% of all cases requiring days from work in the private sector in 2016. Roughly 1$ of every $3 in workers compensation costs are attributed to MSDs, so eliminating the factors that contribute or cause MSD is cost effective for your business.
Identifying Potential Hazards
Understand warning signs such as:
- employees exerting excessive force
- performing the same or similar tasks repetitively
- working in awkward positions or being in the same posture for long periods of time
- localized pressure into the body part
- tasks with high vibration
Note: Cold temperatures combined with the above risk factors also increase the risk of MSDs to develop.
Controlling The Hazard
- Attempt to Eliminate the hazard entirely
- If that is not possible, attempt to Replace the hazard.
- If that cannot be done, Engineer out the hazard by providing a source to isolate the hazard from the employee.
- If you cannot engineer out the hazard, provide administrative controls.
- If all of the above are not possible, you must provide PPE to protect the worker from the hazard.
Hierarchy of Controls
Calculate your ROI:
The cost of a single Workers Compensation Claim typically justifies safety investment. You can use this simple calculation to estimate your potential savings or analyze the impact after investing in intervention.Injury Cost (Pre-Intervention) - Injury Cost (Post-Intervention) - Cost of Intervention = Total Costs of Savings
More Top Selling